TO: All Members of 1199/SEIU, CWA, IUOE
FROM: Bargaining Committee
RE: 2019 Kaleida Health Contract Negotiations
DATE: March 13, 2018
Following months of preparation, the Joint Union bargaining committee kicked off 2019 Contract Negotiations on Monday, March 4. In this first update we are going to give you some of the nuts and bolts surrounding bargaining.
The parties are going to be meeting every Monday, Wednesday and Friday for the months of March, April and May. We are meeting at the Buffalo General Medical Center where the old Swift Auditorium used to be. The Union bargaining is large (44 people with representatives from every bargaining unit) and the Kaleida Health committee is 12, including:
- Randy Odza Attorney
- Cheryl Klass Chief Nursing Executive
- Karen Allman Nurse Manager 15S BGMC
- Donna Berst Labor Relations Coordinator
- Hank Cole Director of Rehabilitation
- Bob Hefka Vice-President Labor Employee Relations
- Tammy Hibbert Nurse Manager Nursing Administration Office MFSH
- Gail Krollman Senior Human Resources Generalist/Strategic Initiatives
- Cheryl Madge Nurse Manager MBU OCH
- Sue Passmore Director of Human Resources BGMC
- Karen Swartz Vice-President Human Resources
- Sue Vallance Director of Employee Benefits.
We have just completed our fifth day of bargaining, so we are in the very early stages of the process. The progress has been slow as we have exchanged initial non-economic proposals and are attempting to understand what Kaleida is proposing and they are attempting to understand our proposals as well. The Union Committee is also spending time explaining the intent of the current contract language. We have had language intent issues throughout the life of this contract and we want to be sure to reinforce the intent.
When we finish bargaining on a specific article of the contract, we label it as a Tentative Agreement or a TA. The committees will continue to accumulate TAs until the entire contract has been negotiated and we are ready to bring it back to you for ratification.
Tentative Agreements have been reached on the following proposals:
- New MOU on changing WCHOB to OCH;
- Delete Article 96 WCHOB Rotoclave;
- New MOU on BGMC/CWA Surgical Technologist Assignments;
- Delete Letter of Intent on WCHOB V6 and V7;
- Letter of Intent on Long Term Care Needs List;
- Delete MOU #9 Multi-Site On Call Program/GI Lab;
- MOU #12 on Drop and Add Relative to FTE;
- Delete MOU #17 BGH RN and TCC Shift Rotation (will follow Article 17);
- Delete MOU #27 on WCHOB Relocation;
- MOU #35 Clinical Pharmacy Coordinator Qualifications;
- MOU #36 Flint Road Endo-Diabetes Titles;
- Delete MOU 23 on Certification Pay;
- Articles With No Change. Articles with no change proposed includes: 1, 2, 5, 8, 10, 11, 12, 13, 16, 21, 22, 24,25,32, 36, 38, 41, 48, 49, 52, 54, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 65, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 81,83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 89, 90, 100, 101,103, 104, 106, Appendix H, Appendix I, Letter on Healthcare Related Joint Ventures, 1199/SEIU Upstate Regional Labor Management Project Fund. MOUs with no change proposed includes: 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 10, 11, 13, 15, 18, 20, 21, 22, 24, 25, 31, 32, 33, 34 and 37.
We will keep you posted on our progress throughout the bargaining process. If you need to get information to the bargaining committee, you can contact one of them directly or talk to your steward/mobilizer/delegate who will pass the information along!